Govt moves to address delays behind fee hike

A proposed US$500 (BDS$1 000) surcharge on each cargo container entering the Bridgetown Port has been cancelled following negotiations led by the state-run port’s management. It’s a move Minister of Tourism and International Transport Ian Gooding-Edghill said will shield consumers from unnecessary price hikes and further support trade and tourism.

He revealed in Parliament on Monday that shipping lines had signalled their intention over the past two weeks to impose a congestion fee of US$250 (BDS$500) for 20-foot containers and US$500 (BDS$1 000) for 40-foot containers.

Among those reportedly prepared to implement the charge was King Ocean Services, which had already circulated notices to clients. After intervention from the port’s leadership, the shippers formally withdrew the proposed fee.

“I must commend the port, and particularly the port’s management. They successfully fought against the implementation of this fee,” Gooding-Edghill said.

“We informed them that we are implementing priority berthing policies and minimum productivity rates… and we now have correspondence from the shippers confirming that the fee will no longer be applicable.”

The minister further outlined that the government has introduced several operational improvements to address the root causes of the proposed fee and tackle longstanding port delays.

These measures include guaranteed berthing slots for weekly cargo lanes, a commitment to offloading 20 containers per hour, and standardised marine charges.

Gooding-Edghill also said work is ongoing to establish full 24-hour operations beyond ship handling to include administrative processing of cargo in collaboration with customs, health, quarantine, immigration, and trucking stakeholders.

The goal is to clear cargo from the port within 48 hours and eventually within 24 hours. “We’re holding weekly meetings with all relevant state authorities. It’s about transparency, accountability, and making the port more efficient,” he said.

In tandem with these operational upgrades, Gooding-Edghill provided an update on the physical expansion of the port, noting that it is progressing well. He confirmed that Berth 6, which is expected to ease congestion by separating cargo and cruise ship operations, will be completed by September this year.

The project includes the reclamation of 9.4 acres of land and represents a major capital investment of approximately $100 million. The new berth comes as Barbados anticipates record cruise traffic this year, with projections exceeding 850 000 passengers.

“This growth puts pressure on the port’s capacity,” he said, “and that’s why Berth 6 is absolutely necessary.”

The government has already spent over $66 million on new equipment, including two state-of-the-art electronic gantry cranes expected to significantly improve offloading times and cargo handling efficiency.

Plans are also in place for an aggregate berth to support the construction and building materials sector, while $60 million in repairs are scheduled for the bulk facility damaged by sea swells earlier this year.

“Anything involving marine construction is costly but the investment is necessary to keep the port functioning safely and reliably,” Gooding-Edghill said.

The Bridgetown Port has acquired additional land for storage and logistics operations, including 1.5 acres at the site of the former Kensington Mall, lawmakers were told. The government is also leveraging what Gooding-Edghill called “virtual expansion” by extending operating hours and improving internal workflows without relying solely on physical infrastructure.

Transitioning Bridgetown Port to a freehold model and taking over stevedoring services had already generated significant savings — including a 17.5 per cent reduction in port charges and $10 million in cost savings passed on to consumers, the minister told Parliament.

He also pointed to Speightstown where a smaller cruise berth is being developed to accommodate growing maritime interest, noting plans to enhance its facilities to attract more high-end traffic.

“As we continue to expand and modernise our port infrastructure, we are positioning Barbados not just as a shipping hub but as a truly competitive player in global maritime trade and tourism,” Gooding-Edghill said.

shannamoore@barbadostoday.bb

The post Govt moves to address delays behind fee hike appeared first on Barbados Today.

Share the Post: